Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Fad Diets Could Ruin Your Life - No, REALLY

I had an eating disorder. I wasn't diagnosed, I didn't seek treatment, and it almost feels wrong to claim this thing, but I totally and legitimately engaged in disordered eating for YEARS. Those details are for another day, but I wish that posts like this were common knowledge, and that any one of the (many) people who knew how obsessed I was had recognized that I was far beyond any normal level of concern with healthy eating.
Behaviors that, objectively, would qualify as a serious eating disorder are now considered perfectly appropriate, and reinforced by a culture that is becoming obsessively fixated on food, eating and weight. I’m going to list a few symptoms and warning signs of disordered eating, taken from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. These are not normal behaviors. These are symptoms of serious, potentially fatal diseases, with long term health consequences.
https://gokaleo.com/2013/06/17/fad-diets-normalizing-disordered-behavior/

The list is 12 items, and I would've answered yes to 10 or them. That's a huge problem. It was. I sometimes can't believe I got out on my own.

--

Side note: I can't seem to find, like, ANY GoKaleo posts I've shared, which is a shocking oversight on my part. She helped to change my life, after all. This book, in particular, was a leader of the charge: https://gokaleo.com/store/taking-up-space/

No comments:

Post a Comment