Sunday, February 21, 2016

Eating Disorders: Awareness is Step One

February 21 - 27 is National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

Here are two points of fact I read on the website that chilled me to the bone and made me tear up and also made me want to scream in rage:
  • Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental disorder and 30 million Americans will suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their life.
  • With treatment, 60% of eating disorder sufferers will make a full recovery.
What in the WHAT now?

Highest mortality rate of any mental disorder? Worse than depression?! That surprised me, and yet I realized the very symptoms of an ED can kill the sufferer, without intervention. Denied nutrition, how could the body survive?

And while they are proud of the 60% who can recover, I'm over here screaming that ONLY 60% make a full recovery? That means the other 40% spend the rest of their life battling issues with eating, something that is necessary for their daily survival - unlike someone battling alcohol or drugs, where pure abstinence is an option (and often a more effective one than moderation).

That breaks my heart.

So if you are even remotely diet-focused, please, click this link; it is a short, simple, FREE screening of indicators for eating disorders: http://screening.mentalhealthscreening.org/neda

I took it and rated as low risk, but I can clearly, sadly, see that 5 years ago, I would have answered MUCH differently, and I wonder (often) how it might have helped me, if only I'd known what I was fighting.

Take it. Seek help and investigate a diagnosis if you have even the slightest concerns about your mental health and/or eating habits.

The help you receive may just save your precious, priceless life.

No comments:

Post a Comment